How does sleep affect the immune system?
What are the consequences of a lack of sleep?
You are more likely to suffer from a cold or the flu.
Your vaccinations may not be as effective.
You are more exposed to fungal and parasitic infections.
What about sleep disorders?
The benefits of sleep for immunity
- Krueger J.M., M.L. Karnovsky, S.A. Martin, J.R. Pappenheimer, J. Walter and K. Biemann. “Peptidoglycans as promoters of slow-wave sleep. II. Somnogenic and pyrogenic activities of some naturally occurring muramyl peptides; correlations with mass spectrometric structure determination.” Journal of Biological Chemistry (1984): #259, 12659-62.
- Sheldon Cohen, W. J. Doyle, C. M. Alper et al. “Sleep Habits and Susceptibility to the Common Cold.” Archives of Internal Medicine (Jan. 12, 2009): #169(1), 62-67.
- Prather, Aric A. and Cindy W. Leung. “Association of Insufficient Sleep With Respiratory Infection Among Adults in the United States.” Journal of the American Medical Association (June 1, 2016): #176(6), 850-852.
- Pratt, Elizabeth. “How Sleep Strengthens Your Immune System.” Healthline (February 21, 2019). https://www.healthline.com/health-news/how-sleep-bolsters-your-immune-system
- Dimitrov, Stoyan, Tanja Lange, Cécile Gouttefangeas et al. “Gαs-coupled receptor signaling and sleep regulate integrin activation of human antigen-specific T cells.” Journal of Experimental Medicine, (2019): #216 (3), 517-526.
- Besedovsky, Luciana, Tanja Lange and Monika Haack. “The Sleep-Immune Crosstalk in Health and Disease.” Physiological Reviews (Mar. 28, 2019). https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.00010.2018
- Irwin, M. R., A. Mascovich, J. C. Gillin, R. Willoughby, J. Pike and T. L. Smith TL. “Partial Sleep Deprivation Reduces Natural Killer Cell Activity in Humans.” Psychosomatic Medicine (Nov./Dec. 1994): #56(6), 493-498.
- Prather, Aric A., Denise Janicki-Deverts, Martica H. Hall and Sheldon Cohen. “Behaviorally Assessed Sleep and Susceptibility to the Common Cold.” Sleep (Sep. 1, 2015): #38(9), 1353-9.
- Spiegel, Karine, John F. Sheridan and Eve Van Cauter. “Effect of sleep deprivation on response to immunization.” Journal of the American Medical Association (Sep. 25, 2002): #288 (12), 1471-2.
- Prather, Aric A., Martical Hall, Jacqueline M. Fury, Diana C. Ross et al. “Sleep and Antibody Response to Hepatitis B Vaccination.” Sleep (Aug. 1, 2012): #35(8), 1063-69.
- Berticat, C. et al. “Excessive daytime sleepiness and antipathogen drug consumption in the elderly: a test of the immune theory of sleep.” Scientific Reports (Mar. 21, 2016): #6, 23574.
- Irwin, Michael R., Richard Olmstead, Judith E. Carroll. “Sleep Disturbance, Sleep Duration, and Inflammation: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Cohort Studies and Experimental Sleep Deprivation.” Biological Psychiatry (Jun. 1, 2015): #80(1), 40-52.
Dr Pierre Mayer
Respirologist - Medical Director - Sleep Care