How does the lack of sleep contribute to weight gain?
Imbalance of hormones that regulate hunger
Consumption of food to reduce fatigue
More opportunities to eat
More sedentary lifestyle
Lower blood sugar levels
The case of sleep apnea
The transition to a healthy weight
When you need professional support, we're here to help.
- VanCauter, E. (2008), “Metabolic Consequences of Sleep and Sleep Loss,” Sleep Medecine, vol. 9, suppl. 1
- Chaput, J.-P. (2010), “Risk Factors for Adult Overweight and Obesity: The Importance of Looking Beyong the ‘Big Two’,” Obes Facts, vol. 3, p. 320-327
- Povitz, M. et al. (2017), “Wait Times from Diagnosis to Treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Ontario: A Population-Based Cohort Study,” Sleep and Health Policy, C80-D, A6526-A6526
- Hale, L. (2012), “Longitudinal associations between sleep duration and subsequent weight gain: a systematic review,” Sleep Medicine Reviews, vol. 16, no. 3, p. 231-241
- Després, J. P., Bouchard, C. and Tremblay, A., (2008), “The association between sleep duration and weight gain in adults: a 6-year prospective study from the Quebec Family Study,” International Journal of Obesity, 32S35-S35
- Al Khatib, H. K., Darzi, J., Pot, G.K. (2017), “The effects of partial sleep deprivation on energy balance: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2017, vol. 71, no. 5, p. 614-624
- Fatima, Y., Doi, S. and Mamun, A. (2016), “Sleep quality and obesity in young subjects: A meta-analysis,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 17, no. 11, p. 1154-1166. doi:10.1111/obr.12444
- Hartman, Terryl J. et al. (2012), “Partial sleep deprivation and energy balance in adults: an emerging issue for consideration by dietetics practitioners,” Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, vol. 112, no. 11, p. 1785-1797
- Shechter, A. (2017), “Obstructive sleep apnea and energy balance regulation: A systematic review,” Sleep Medicine Reviews, vol. 34, p. 59-69
- Stice, E., Burger, K. S. and Yokum, S. (2013), “Relative ability of fat and sugar tastes to activate reward, gustatory, and somatosensory regions,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 98, no. 6, p. 1377–1384. doi:10.3945/ajcn.113.069443
- Córdova, F. V., Barja, S. and Brockmann, P.E. (2018), “Consequences of short sleep duration on the dietary intake in children: A systematic review and metanalysis,” Sleep Medicine Reviews, vol. 42, p. 68-84
- Basoglu, O. et al. (2018), “Change in weight and central obesity by positive airway pressure treatment in obstructive sleep apnea patients: Longitudinal data from the ESADA cohort,” Journal of Sleep Research, vol. 27, no. 6
Myths and facts surrounding Osteoporosis
Discover the facts about osteoporosis and learn about the links between it and menopause, calcium, aging, and bone fractures.