Why does smartphone screen exposure negatively impact my sleep?
How can I mitigate the effects of screen exposure on sleep?
- Cain, Neralie, and Michael Gradisar. “Electronic Media Use and Sleep in School-Aged Children and Adolescents: A Review.” Sleep Medicine 11, no. 8 (2010): 735–42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleep.2010.02.006.
- Hale, Lauren, and Stanford Guan. “Screen Time and Sleep among School-Aged Children and Adolescents: A Systematic Literature Review.” Sleep Medicine Reviews 21 (2015): 50–58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smrv.2014.07.007.
- Liu, Shuai, Yun Kwok Wing, Yanli Hao, Weixia Li, Jihui Zhang, and Bin Zhang. “The Associations of Long-Time Mobile Phone Use with Sleep Disturbances and Mental Distress in Technical College Students: a Prospective Cohort Study.” Sleep 42, no. 2 (March 2018). https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/zsy213.
- “NETendances 2018 - La Mobilité Au Québec.” CEFRIO. Accessed November 2019. https://cefrio.qc.ca/fr/enquetes-et-donnees/netendances2018-mobilite-au-quebec/.
- Foerster, Milena, Andrea Henneke, Shala Chetty-Mhlanga, and Martin Röösli. “Impact of Adolescents’ Screen Time and Nocturnal Mobile Phone-Related Awakenings on Sleep and General Health Symptoms: A Prospective Cohort Study.” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 16, no. 3 (December 2019): 518. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph16030518.
- Harvard Health Publishing. “Blue Light Has a Dark Side.” Harvard Health. Accessed November 2019. https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side.
- Burkhart, Kimberly, and James R Phelps. “Amber Lenses to Block Blue Light and Improve Sleep: a Randomized Trial.” Chronobiology international. U.S. National Library of Medicine, December 2009. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20030543.
- Lely, Stéphanie van der, Silvia Frey, Corrado Garbazza, Anna Wirz-Justice, Oskar G. Jenni, Roland Steiner, Stefan Wolf, Christian Cajochen, Vivien Bromundt, and Christina Schmidt. “Blue Blocker Glasses as a Countermeasure for Alerting Effects of Evening Light-Emitting Diode Screen Exposure in Male Teenagers.” Journal of Adolescent Health. Elsevier, October 3, 2014. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1054139X14003243.
Three reasons to fast before a lab test
Although it’s rare to now require a patient to fast for a lab test, it can happen. Learn why fasting is sometimes necessary.
Am I overweight or obese?
Weight classifications are an important indicator of health risk. You can calculate yours by measuring your Body Mass Index (BMI) and waist circumference.
Are plant-based meat alternatives a healthy diet option?
New meat alternatives, high in saturated fat, carry many of the health risks of beef, and few clear benefits.