Awards — 6 minutes
Biron Health Group named one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the fifth year running
For the fifth consecutive year, Biron Health Group has been named one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies, a prestigious competition organized by Deloitte that recognizes the overall performance and sustainable growth of Canadian companies.
As a Gold winner, Biron broke new ground in 2020-2021 to support the well-being of the population during the pandemic. In particular, four of its promising projects implemented over the past year caught the jury’s attention:
- Launch of COVID-19 screening tests
- COVID-19 screening project at Montreal’s airport
- Opening of “winter clinics”
- Launch of contactless online sleep care
“Innovation is one of our values. We had a duty to use our scientific and medical expertise in the fight against COVID-19. Being included in Deloitte’s list of winners has significant importance this year. It is a recognition of the time and energy all our teams have invested to promote the health of our community. Needless to say, I am very proud of this.”
Geneviève Biron, President and CEO
Here are four of our promising projects that have earned us top honours:
Launch of COVID-19 screening tests
We launched four screening tests in 2020:
- The PCR molecular test determines if the person is infected with the virus at the time of sampling. Results are available within 24-48 business hours.
- The rapid antigen test provides results in about 15 minutes.
- The serological test determines if a person has ever had COVID-19 by detecting antibodies that have developed as a result of infection.
- The respiratory multiplex PCR test can differentiate COVID-19 from 19 other pathogens with symptoms that are similar to COVID-19.
To ensure the success of these launches, we acquired new equipment, refurbished our premises, revamped our work processes, hired resources and trained our staff in molecular analysis, computer science and sample management.
Read more: Multiple ways to screen for COVID-19 (Infographic)
COVID-19 screening project at Montreal airport
During 2020, Biron was called upon by Aéroports de Montréal (ADM) to take part in an innovative project to screen for COVID-19 on flights from certain international destinations. This project was aimed at finding a solution to restart operations at the airport and, at the same time, tourism. Since December, a team of nurses and technical specialists from Biron carried out hundreds of rapid antigen tests, and more recently rapid PCR tests, each day.
In addition, and now under a mandate from the Public Health Agency of Canada since February 2021, Biron also performs hundreds of tests per day on all travelers arriving in Montreal.
Visits to COVID-19 screening clinics at the airport (French only)
COVID-19 testing at the arrivals in brief
- Two sample collection centres open seven days a week, depending on flight times
- More than 40 staff deployed at the airport
- Sixteen testing stations in the arrivals screening centre
- Customer service now open on weekends to meet demand
- Development of a dedicated web platform for booking appointments
Opening of “winter clinics”
From the beginning of the pandemic, we wondered about our role and how we could ensure the health and safety of the communities where we operate. To this end, Biron set up five temporary service centres for patients with symptoms similar to those of COVID-19, or who have been in close contact with an infected person. The majority of our testing and collection services are available at these locations.
Read more: When a diagnosis can’t wait
Online sleep care
We know how much of a difference a good night’s sleep makes in people’s lives. To continue our diagnostic activities and limit our contacts, we have introduced the following new services:
- Delivery and pick-up of equipment for diagnosing sleep apnea at home
- Teleconsultation with a physician (for consultations and follow-ups) or a respiratory therapist (to teach methods of treating sleep apnea)
- Chat with a team of respiratory therapists
To make it easy to purchase our sleep apnea products, the online store cpap.biron.com is now open to the general public. It has also been revamped to include new products and tools.
About Canada’s Best Managed Companies
Canada’s Best Managed Companies continues to be the mark of excellence for Canadian-owned and managed companies with revenues over $25 million. Every year since the launch of the program in 1993, hundreds of entrepreneurial companies have competed for this designation in a rigorous and independent process that evaluates their management skills and practices.
For more information, visit www.bestmanagedcompanies.ca.