Do mammograms save lives?
Is breast palpation still a valid form of screening?
Do screening programs miss some breast cancers?
Is the radiation from a mammogram dangerous?
Do screening programs lead to overdiagnosis?
Peut-on rendre les mammographies moins douloureuses ?
- “Breast Cancer Statistics.” Canadian Cancer Society. Accessed October 1, 2019. https://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/cancer-type/breast/statistics/?region=on.
- Organized Breast Cancer Screening Programs in Canada: Report on Program Performance in 2007 and 2008. Toronto, ON: Canadian Partnership Against Cancer, 2013. http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2015/aspc-phac/HP32-1-2008-eng.pdf
- “Limitations of Mammograms: How Often Are Mammograms Wrong?” American Cancer Society. Accessed October 1, 2019. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/breast-cancer/screening-tests-and-early-detection/mammograms/limitations-of-mammograms.html.
- Pisano, Etta D., Constantine Gatsonis, Edward Hendrick, Martin Yaffe, Janet K. Baum, Suddhasatta Acharyya, Emily F. Conant, et al. “Diagnostic Performance of Digital versus Film Mammography for Breast-Cancer Screening.” New England Journal of Medicine 353, no. 17 (2005): 1773–83. https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmoa052911.
- Vyborny, C J, and M L Giger. “Computer Vision and Artificial Intelligence in Mammography.” American Journal of Roentgenology 162, no. 3 (1994): 699–708. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.162.3.8109525.
- Elmore, Joann G., and Suzanne W. Fletcher. “Overdiagnosis in Breast Cancer Screening: Time to Tackle an Underappreciated Harm.” Annals of Internal Medicine 156, no. 7 (March 2012): 536. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-156-7-201204030-00012.
- “Mammograms.” National Cancer Institute. Accessed October 1, 2019. https://www.cancer.gov/types/breast/mammograms-fact-sheet.
- Provencher, L., J.c. Hogue, C. Desbiens, B. Poirier, E. Poirier, D. Boudreau, M. Joyal, C. Diorio, N. Duchesne, and J. Chiquette. “Is Clinical Breast Examination Important for Breast Cancer Detection?” Current Oncology 23, no. 4 (August 2016): 332. https://doi.org/10.3747/co.23.2881.
- Henrot, Philippe, Martine Boisserie-Lacroix, Véronique Boute, Philippe Troufléau, Bruno Boyer, Grégory Lesanne, Véronique Gillon, et al. “Self-Compression Technique vs Standard Compression in Mammography.” JAMA Internal Medicine 179, no. 3 (January 2019): 407. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.7169.
- “Mammogram Basics: How Does A Mammogram Work?” American Cancer Society. Accessed October 1, 2019. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/breast-cancer/screening-tests-and-early-detection/mammograms/mammogram-basics.html.
X-rays are a health hazard
Myth! At low doses, X-ray exposure is not harmful to your health. It is only at high doses, either after very frequent or very intense exposures (in the range of 2000 mSv or more at once) that it can [...]