Musculoskeletal ultrasound is an accurate, dynamic examination used to diagnose and treat certain medical conditions affecting muscles, joints and tendons.
This type of ultrasound is for anyone with pain for which your doctor cannot determine the source. Guided by images captured in real time, the radiologist finds the source of your muscle, joint or tendon pain and offers an effective treatment to relieve it.
At ImagixTM, we provide the following musculoskeletal ultrasound services:
- Assessment of fractures and tears
- Imaging of musculoskeletal disorders
- Assessment of muscle and joint pain
- Cyst puncture (aspiration)
- Lavage of calcifications (aspiration)
- Ultrasound- and fluoroscopy-guided cortisone injections
- Ultrasound- and fluoroscopy-guided viscosupplement injections (e.g. Synvisc-One®)
For the examination procedure, you will be asked:
- to change into a hospital gown and remove your jewellery and other metal objects, which can interfere with image quality
- to lay comfortably on an examination table. The technician will apply a warm gel on the region that will be observed
- to move in order to reproduce the movements that cause pain, as per the radiologist's instructions, so that the structures are more visible and a better assessment can be made
Please note that the total duration of your visit for this examination can be between 20 and 45 minutes, even though the examination procedure itself will only last between 10 and 30 minutes.
Preparing for the examination
No preparation is required before a musculoskeletal ultrasound. However, we ask that you avoid the use of body cream or perfume in order not to alter the quality of the images.
A medical prescription is required to perform this examination.
The costs of this examination are covered by the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ).
If your healthcare professional has prescribed this examination or if you have any questions, contact us at 1 833 590-2715.