Aiming for herd immunity
The many steps involved in making a vaccine
When researchers pick up the pace
While we wait for the vaccine
- Stephen M. Kissler, Christine Tedijanto, Edward Goldstein, Yonatan H. Grad et Marc Lipsitch, “Projecting the transmission dynamics of SARS-CoV-2 through the postpandemic period,” Science, April 14, 2020, https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/04/14/science.abb5793.
- World Health Organization, “Smallpox: eradicating and ancient scourge,” Bugs, drugs & Smoke, 2011, https://www.who.int/about/bugs_drugs_smoke_chapter_1_smallpox.pdf.
- Gypsyamber D’Souza et David Dowdy, “What is herd immunity and how can we achieve it with COVID-19?” Bloomberg School of Public Health Insights, Johns Hopkins University, April 10, 2020, https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/articles/achieving-herd-immunity-with-covid19.html.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “2009 H1N1 Pandemic Timeline,” https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-pandemic-timeline.html (accessed April 19, 2020).
- Institut national de santé publique, “En savoir plus sur l’influenza,” https://www.inspq.qc.ca/influenza/en-savoir-plus-sur-l-influenza (accessed April 19, 2020).
- Kenneth McIntosh, “Coronaviruses,” UpToDate, February 18, 2020, https://www.uptodate.com/contents/coronaviruses.
- Chaolin Huang et al., “Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China,” The Lancet, January 24, 2020, https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30183-5/fulltext.
- Esther S. Pronker et al., “Risk in Vaccine Research and Development Quantified,” Plos One, March 20, 2013, https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0057755.
- Tung Thanh Le et al., “The COVID-19 vaccine development landscape,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, April 9, 2020, https://www.nature.com/articles/d41573-020-00073-5.
- Ewen Callaway, “Coronavirus vaccines: Five key questions as trials begin,” Nature, March 18, 2020, https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00798-8.
- Leslie Roberts, “Pandemic brings mass vaccination to a halt,” Science, April 10, 2020, https://science.sciencemag.org/content/368/6487/116.
Dr Nicolas Tétreault, Clinical Biochemist, Ph.D., CSPQ, FCACB
Scientific and Innovation Director