Buy the right pack
Teach them how to organize
Teach proper lifthing technique
The science of the schoolbag
- Goodgold, Shelley, Moira Corcoran, Diana Gamache, Jennifer Gillis, Jennifer Guerin, and Jennifer Quinn Coyle. “Backpack Use in Children.” Pediatric Physical Therapy 14, no. 3 (2002): 122–31. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001577-200214030-00002.
- Sheir-Neiss, Geraldine I., Richard W. Kruse, Tariq Rahman, Lisa P. Jacobson, and Jennifer A. Pelli. “The Association of Backpack Use and Back Pain in Adolescents.” Spine 28, no. 9 (2003): 922–30. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000058725.18067.f7.
- Mackenzie, William G., Jayanth S. Sampath, Richard W. Kruse, and Geraldine J. Sheir-Neiss. “Backpacks in Children.” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 409 (2003): 78–84. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.blo.0000058884.03274.d9.
- Yamato, Tiê Parma, Chris G Maher, Adrian C Traeger, Christopher M Wiliams, and Steve J Kamper. “Do Schoolbags Cause Back Pain in Children and Adolescents? A Systematic Review.” British Journal of Sports Medicine 52, no. 19 (February 2018): 1241–45. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2017-098927.
- Kamper, Steven J., Tie Parma Yamato, and Christopher M. Williams. “The Prevalence, Risk Factors, Prognosis and Treatment for Back Pain in Children and Adolescents: An Overview of Systematic Reviews.” Best Practice & Research Clinical Rheumatology 30, no. 6 (2016): 1021–36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.berh.2017.04.003. OpenUrl